Home / Arts / Architecture / Preservation
- A Practical Guide to Cultural Resource Compliance - New South Associates explain how to comply with Section 106 of the US National Historic Preservation Act.
- Amsterdam Heritage - Introduction to the architectural history of Amsterdam, Netherlands, and its preservation, from Municipal Department for Preservation and Restoration of Historic Buildings and Sites.
- Building Conservation - Cathedral Communications provides a directory of building conservation companies, courses and organizations, mainly in the United Kingdom. Also on-line articles and events listing.
- College Town Issues - Information on the importance of perserving neighborhoods adjacent to campuses in U.S. college towns.
- Cultural Heritage Charters and Standards - A review of the principal UNESCO and ICOMOS charters and standards for the preservation of cultural heritage by J.K. Gillon.
- Cultural Heritage Search Engine - A directory of sites related to the conservation of cultural heritage - the natural and urban landscape. English and Italian.
- Donhead Publishing - Specializes in practical books on building conservation, preservation and heritage for architects, surveyors and other preservation practitioners and academics. On-line catalog.
- Ecole d'Avignon Historic Preservation Resource Center - In Avignon, France, offers courses and consulting in historic preservation, decorative painting, and traditional building techniques.
- Glossary of Preservation Terms - Donald Napoli provides definitions for many words and abbreviations commonly used in historic preservation.
- Heritage Preservation Services - The US National Park Service provides illustrated guidelines for rehabilitating historic properties, preservation briefs, information on tax incentives and a catalog of its publications.
- Historic Buildings and Structures - An annotated list describing preservation programs developed by the United States National Park Service. Includes both public and professional sections, with links to each program.
- Masonry Conservation Research Group - In the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen describes its research into building stone decay, conservation and historic preservation.
- National Center for Preservation Technology and Training - The U.S. National Park Service provides searchable databases on training, materials, job opportunities, conferences, funding and its grants and projects.
- Old House Journal - Online magazine. Preservation advice for owners of old homes, restoration directory, products, classifieds, bulletin boards.
- Ortygia - Architect Sergio Tinè uses his experience of conserving historic buildings in the island of Ortygia to propose a code of professional practice for urban conservation.
- Parabow - Aims to preserve and reconstruct ancient wooden buildings, involving business and educational partners from eight European countries. News, projects, personnel.
- Pond Lily Mill Restorations - Ted Hazen supplies extensive, illustrated information on the history and technology of flour milling in America, and the restoration of watermills, with bibliography.
- Preservation - Umbrella and portal for interrelated sites intended to help meet needs of the US preservation community. Sections include education and training, partnerships, networking, trades, resources.
- Preservation Alumni - Independent organization of friends and alumni of the Columbia University Historic Preservation Program.
- Preservation Directory - Resources and research tools for historic preservation and cultural resource management in the US. Lists preservation organizations, programs, historic property for sale, news and events.
- Preserve and Protect - A not-for-profit corporation providing space on the web for historic preservation and environmental protection organizations.
- Restoration Online - Online resource for restoration and preservation of historic homes and buildings, including listings of suppliers and organizations, articles, message postings, reference sections.
- Restoration Trades Exchange - An online business exchange for the building restoration field in America, featuring directories, job listings, trade forums, regional information.
- Riwaq - Centre for Architectural Conservation - Aims to safeguard Palestinian heritage. Projects, including a national register, publications, on-line exhibition of Palestinian tiles.
- Saving The East's Architectural Heritage - Series by Lindsay Percival-Straunik on the challenges of preserving the rich architectural heritage of Eastern and Central Europe and the former Soviet Union. From Radio Free Europe.
- School of the Building Arts - In historic downtown Charleston, South Carolina, United States offers educational programs and discussion in the field of preservation.
- The Conservation Glossary - Architectural, building and conservation terms explained by Neil Grieve of The Centre for Conservation and Urban Studies, University of Dundee.
- The Slate Roof Quarterly - A free newsletter about the slate roofing industry directed at roofing contractors, architects, roofing materials suppliers, and owners of buildings with slate roofs.
- USGS National Geologic Lexicon Database - Find out about US stone names here.
- Walk Through Historic Buildings - The US National Park Service provides this quick guide to identifying the visual character of a historic building, to be aware of what is important to preserve. Includes a quiz.