Home / Science / Social Sciences / Economics / Economic History
- A History of Money - A general review of the historical development of coinage.
- Abstracts in the History of Economics - Provides a forum for economic historians to share information about their works.
- After Spindletop, Everything Changed - Brief history of the Lucas gusher at Spindletop, the well that began the oil boom in the U.S.
- American Currency Exhibit - Money hasn't always looked like it does today. Explore the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco's American Currency Exhibit online and watch history come alive as you step back in time to our nation's beginning. Learn how our country's rich history is closely tied with our currency. Discover the role the Federal Reserve has played--and continues to play--in that history.
- Banknotes of Different Countries (In Past and Now) - Images of currency of Ukraine, Austria, Brasil, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia, USA, Greece, Singapore, and other countries.
- Beyond Face Value - Depictions of Slavery in Confederate Currency - Online exhibit focusing on slavery depicted in money notes issued and circulated in the South during the Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction Era.
- Biz/ed Chronologies - These chronologies, prepared by Barclays Bank Economics Dept., cover national (UK) and international events of significance to the economy, and run from the last quarter of 1997 through to the present. They will be updated quarterly. There are also pages available that give the key facts from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
- BPubs.com - Economic History Publications - A collection of business articles related to Economic History.
- Brain Bank - The Oldest Companies - The ten oldest companies in the U.S. by Rank.
- Business History - Large resource of histories and stories of American business, including audio and video archives, academic and corporate articles, and "fun facts."
- Business History Bibliography - A categorized and annotated list of selected cross discipline information sources for doing research on the history of business. Prepared by the University of Maryland Libraries.
- Business History Centre - Specializes in business writing, with a focus on professional, corporate and industrial history.
- Business History On-Line - H-Business is an on-line newsletter for the Business History Conference.
- BusinessPhilosophy.com - Studying the classics and great books in the context of the history of business.
- Celebrating the Birth of Texas Oil - Article about the discovery of oil Texas, the development of the oil industry and its economic impact in the early 20th century.
- Center for International Business History, University of Reading - News about business history research and information about the center.
- Charles Dow, the History of the Dow Jones Averages, Dow Jones Averages Chronology 1884 - 1995 - How Charles Dow devised the now famous stock averages known as the Dow Jones Averages, and a chronology of their activity from 1884 to 1995.
- Costs and Wages in Great Britain - Shows what a pence, shilling, pound, etc was actually worth throughout the history of Great Britain.
- Current Value of Old Money - Links to inflation statistics, price indexes, and sources of data on changes in the value of money.
- Did You Know? - Briefly traces the development of products that took 100 years to get from the idea stage to the marketplace.
- Directory of Corporate Archives in the United States and Canada - An online directory of archives and other repositories of historical corporate records. Includes directory of professional associations for corporate and industrial archivists.
- Dutch National Accounts, 1800-1913 - Analysis of the development of the Dutch Economy in the period 1800-1913. Dutch GNP and its components. Historical statistics.
- Economics, Coins and Taxes - Articles on accounting, money, taxation, and other aspects of economics in antiquity.
- Euro-Business-History Discussion List - Devoted to scholarly discussion of business history in the U.K. and elsewhere in Europe.
- Guide to Business History Resources - Library of Congress - A guide to print and online resources for business history research.
- History House: Stories: Tulipomania -
- History of Economic Thought - A repository of links and information on the history of economic thought, from the ancient times until the modern day, designed for those interested in learning about economics from a historical perspective.
- History of Economics - Resources for historians of economic thought provided by EH.Net and the History of Economics Society.
- History of Finnish Industry - Brief history of Finnish business and industry.
- History of Money from Ancient Times to the Present Day - Money in its social, political, and economic context from the dawn of history to the end of the 20th century.
- History of the Banking Industry - Published by the FDIC, with statistical information starting in 1934, a list of failed banks, and history of deposit insurance.
- History of the Credit Card - Starting with the first credit card, issued in 1951.
- History of the Eighties - Lessons for the Future - A study prepared by the FDICs Division of Research and Statistics presents a detailed analysis of the complex combination of causes that led to the extraordinary number of bank failures in the 1980s and early 1990s.
- History Productions - A history consulting firm that helps clients use history to improve strategic planning, marketing, branding, corporate communications, anniversary planning and corporate culture.
- How Much is That Worth Today? - Comparing the purchasing power of money in the United States (or colonies)from 1720 to any other year including the present.
- Labour and Business History - WWW Virtual Library - Resources around the world in the field of labour and business history.
- Latin American Colonial Economic History - Provides essays, databases, and bibliography for those interested in economic history of Spanish & Portuguese colonial America.
- Management-History Discussion List - Supports critical and scholarly discussion, reflection and research in the area of management and administrative history.
- Martha Matilda Harper - Business Revolutionary - Martha Matilda Harper Biography
- Mercantilism - Brief history of merchantilism.
- Merrimack Films - Features on Labor History - Merrimack Films was founded in 1983 to produce and distribute films and videos on labor relations. Its products are widely used by colleges in the United States and Canada, as well as by businesses, labor unions, and government agencies.
- Money Museum - A virtual museum about money in civilization, from antiquity to the present.
- Museum of American Financial History - Online exhibits and resources chronicling the role of finance and capital markets in American history.
- Piggy Bank - History of paper money of Belarus. Large collection of scanned images and links.
- Roman Economic Policies - An essay about the economic policies of Rome, as well as some interesting links.
- SCETI: Corporate Annual Reports - This site contains facsimiles of historic corporate annual reports from the Lippincott Library collection at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Singapore. Socio-economic development . - Singapore An essay - recent history (1960-1980)- on the subject of the socio-economic development of the city-state Singapore - socio development
- Spindletop - Brief history of the first oil gusher in the continental United States in 1901.
- Spindletop - History of the first oil gusher near Beaumont, Texas drilled by Anthony Lucas.
- Tax History Foundation and Museum, Inc. - The foundation's mission is to encourage the study of accounting, commercial and economic history.
- Tax History Project - Provides scholars, policymakers, students, the media, and citizens with information about the history of American taxation. The project pursues its mission through a program of web-based documentary publication and original historical research.
- Technological Innovation in New Zealand - The site tells stories about the technologies important to the New Zealand economy in the 20th Century. Most of these technologies were identified by the end of the First World War.
- The Avalon Project : Charter of the Dutch West India Company : 1621 - Full text of the Charter of the Dutch West India Company, 1621.
- The Basics of Business History: 100 Events That Shaped a Century - A timeline of significant events in business during the 20th century from TheStreet.com.
- The Bubble Project - A collaborative and interdisciplinary research initiative on the subject of the South Sea Bubble, the first great stock-market crash of 1720.
- The Coins and History of Asia - Information and scans of over 1100 coins
- The Henry Ford Page - Simple biography.
- The Leslie Brock Center for the Study of Colonial Currency - Specializing in information about the paper moneyof the American colonies.
- The Sodfather: A Friend of Agriculture in North Carolina - Exhibition celebrating the career of North Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture, Jim Graham served in that office from 1964 to 2000. Documents Graham's career and reveals the positive societal impact of an inspired public official.
- Trade Products in Early Modern History - Indigo, Tulips, Beaver , Brazilwood , etc
- Transatlantic Cable Communications - History of the first transatlantic cables linking Britain and North America, the socio-economic impacts, famous messages such as the messages from the Titanic, photos, sound and video files, glossary.
- Treasure and Prices in Spain 1505-1650 - Provide statistics to test the idea that the price level is related to the inflow of treasure into the Spanish economy.
- Value of a Shilling in 1860 - Provides formula for calculating how much a shilling is worth in today's economy.
- Voice of the Shuttle - Post Industrial Business Theory Page - An extensive directory of online resources for business, economic and labor historians and students.
- WIDER Home Page - The United Nations University website. Provides links to download the World Income Inequality database.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library: Labour and Business History - Web directory of organizations, archives, libraries, museums, research institutions and resources around the world in the field of labour and business history.