Home / Reference / Dictionaries
- AllWords.com - Features two modern English dictionaries, multilingual search, and translation. Also features a guide to language sites on the web and a language discussion forum.
- Cambridge International Dictionaries - Free online dictionary from Cambridge University Press.
- Cargo Shipping Acronyms - Glossary of Cargo-Shipping terminology.
- Casey's Snow Day Reverse Dictionary - Dictionary using the statistical similarity of occurances of n-length combinations of letters in text to match documents.
- Cynic's Dictionary - Irreverent and amusing definitions from the recently published Cynic's Dictionary. Samples may be reloaded for variety.
- Dictionary Building Software for Reporters - Software program for realtime reporters and captioners that lists many diverse vocabulary lists.
- Dictionary of Comprehension - A Dictionary of Comprehension in different languages.
- Dictionary of Difficult Words - Search or browse this dictionary of more than 13,000 words.
- Dictionary of Sexual Terms and Expressions - Dictionary of sexual terms, a second dictionary of equivalents of the "F" word and thesaurus.
- Dictionary Plus - Enter a word and find everything expected from a standard dictionary plus similar words and synonyms.
- Dictionary Society of North America - An international organization of librarians, booksellers, translators, linguists, publishers, writers, journalists, and collectors. Founded in 1975 to further research in dictionary making, study, collection, and use. Member of the American Council of Learned Societies.
- Ghostwheel Information Project - Made by taking a set of publicly available dictionaries, indexing them into a SQL database, and then cross-referencing them.
- High Definition Dictionary - Mixed collection of drug terminology with an apparently arbitrarily selected mix of other, unrelated terms. Dictionary accepts contributions of new terms.
- Information Please Dictionary - Infoplease's free online dictionary. Features almanacs, an encyclopedia, and an atlas.
- Ka-BOOM - Dictionary of comicbook words on historical principles.
- Lighting Design Terminology - Explanations of terms used in architectural lighting and lighting simulation.
- Quotations: The Yale Dictionary - Project to create an searchable online database and a quotation dictionary from Yale University Press.
- Research-It - Includes several dictionaries and a thesaurus as well as online tools for shipping and mailing, currency exchange, and language translation.
- Skeptic's Dictionary - Skeptical definitions and essays on occult, paranormal, supernatural and pseudoscientific ideas and practices with references to the best skeptical literature.
- Strange Dictionaries - Free online versions of the Dictionary of One-Letter Words, the Dictionary of All-Vowel Words, the Dictionary of All-Consonant Words, and other strange dictionary resources.
- The Alternative Dictionaries - Includes a list of slang terms and phrases in various languages.
- The Century Dictionary Online - Free 500,000 word dictionary of English with an encyclopedia and world atlas. Uses DjVu and JPEG formats to display page images. Has headword lookup and full text search of 22 million words of underlying text.
- The Newbury House Online Dictionary - Search over 40,000 entries to get clear concise definitions and when available related pictures.
- The Superhero Dictionary - Each entry compares a superhero's name with its real life meaning and includes comparison pictures and pronunciations.
- The Ubis Dictionary of Change - A small collection of words with definitions intended to convey values-based as well as factual meaning. Some definitions are accompanied by quotations or short essays.
- Word Assault - Looks up multiple words simultaneously using several databases including Webster's, Easton's, Wordnet, and the Devil's Dictionary.
- Word Central - Student dictionary and rhyming dictionary online at Merriam-Webster's website. Daily Buzzword by subscription.
- Word Spy Neologisms - Site dedicated to recently coined words and existing words revived into modern usage.
- Worthless Word for the Day - Obscure, abstruse and/or recondite word, especially one not falling into medical terms, foreign monetary units, foreign units of measure, legal terms, or professional jargon of any type.
- Xrefer - Offers free access to a wide range of dictionaries, both general and subject-specific.
- OneLook Dictionaries - Look up a word or term in an Internet dictionary or glossary. Free search access to a frequently updated database of words, terms, names, and acronyms.