Home / Games / Game Studies
- Computergamestudies Mailing List - Description of the mailing list, archives of previous posts and instructions on how to subscribe.
- DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research - Providing strategic market research and statistics on the video game, interactive entertainment and interactive broadcasting industries.
- Digiplay Initiative - Research project on computer games, gamers and the gaming industry. Site has an extensive bibliography of print and online game research. Some news, links, events, own publications.
- Edward Castronova: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier - Report on the economy of Everquest, arguing that this virtual world has as real an economy as most nation states.
- Game Culture - Resource for academics, developers, gamers and others interested in the significance of computer games as a cultural phenomenon. Includes information on news, journal articles, conferences, mailing lists and related resources.
- Game Liberation - A game about game theory by Jesper Juul.
- Game Research - Offers news and research information on the development and social impact of computer games, and the Games Research mailing list.
- Gamegirlz Articles and Features - Collection of academic articles, interviews and opinion pieces on women and gaming.
- Games, Gamers and Gaming Culture - Links to computer and video game research resources. Bibliography of game research, researchers, organisations, conferences, archives, news.
- Gaming People - A collection of articles written by game designers, media critics, and players about computer and video game culture and its implications on society.
- How They Got Game: The History of Videogames and Interactive Simulations - A project based at Stanford but involving researchers from several universities in the US that explores the history and cultural impact of videogames and interactive simulations.
- Jeffrey Goldstein: Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior? - Quick and very sharp critique of the validity of recent reserch on video games and violence.
- Jesper Juul: A clash between game and narrative - MA thesis by a Danish ludologist arguing that games are not narrative. Links to his other work. 1999.
- John Unsworth: Living Inside the (Operating) System: Community in Virtual Reality - Essay discussing communities in MOOs, using PMC-MOO as a case study and discussing scholarly and pedagogical trajectories of MOOs. 1996.
- Ludology.org - Videogame Theory - Resource for academic videogame research - Includes articles, links, conferences, news
- McVittie, Fred: Games, entertainment and after. - Short essay arguing that games are theatre and vice versa.
- New International Association for Digital Games Researchers - Brief information on this initiative by Digiplay, and a call for participation.
- Pargman, Daniel: Code begets community - Extracts of a PhD thesis on SvenskMUD and the management of a virtual gaming community.
- Richard A. Bartle - Players Who Suit MUDs - Discusses whether MUDs are games, passtimes, sports or entertainments and suggests four kids of player: achiever, explorer, socializer or killer. Bibliography of previous research on MUDs.
- Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive - A collection of fulltext research articles on MUDs by many different researchers, including some classics. Archive stretches from 1984 till 1997.
- Video Game Culture: Leisure and Play Preferences of BC Teens - Study examines the significance of children's video game play by surveying British Columiba teenagers' attitudes, interests, motives and behaviors toward gaming.
- Video Game Research Papers - Academic research papers examining violence in video games, and related topics.
- Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life - Presents results from two studies that predict exposure to violent video games will increase aggressive behavior in both the short term (e.g., laboratory aggression) and the long term (e.g., delinquency). From the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Video Games and Violence - Examines the relationship between video and computer games on the release or promotion of aggressive and violent tendencies.
- Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest - Findings of a major study of EverQuest players including data on and discussions of demographics, statistics, psychology, charts, addiction, gender differences, gender bending, relationships, romance and guilds.